Blueberries New Zealand Inc. (BBNZ) is the recognised product group representing the blueberry industry in New Zealand . BBNZ has the role of furthering the interests of all blueberry industry participants. Objectives of BBNZ include promotion and development of the blueberry industry, promotion of blueberries both within New Zealand and overseas, compliance with the Commodity Levies Act 1990 and the Commodity Levies (Blueberries) Order 2001 and co-ordination of a research and development programme for the industry.
The blueberry industry has been established for over two decades in New Zealand and is currently in a phase of growth. This growth has been particularly encouraged by significant positive research about the health benefits of blueberries.
Currently there are approximately 60 grower members, 13 exporter members and 10 associate members. There is around 400 hectares planted or being planted in blueberries at present. Traditionally most of the plantings have occurred in the upper North Island, however new areas are being planted in the South Island.
BBNZ consists of grower members, exporter members and associate members:
- Grower members are commercial growers of blueberries who harvested and sold at least 500kgs of blueberries in the previous year and paid the appropriate levies, Grower Registration Form
- Exporter members are those who have paid the appropriate annual exporter registration fee which for the current year is $250 + GST, Exporter Registration Form
- Associate members are interested parties who have paid the annual associate registration fee which for the current year is $100 + GST. Associate Member Registration Form
The levies which fund the blueberry industry are imposed under the Commodity Levies (Blueberries) Order 2001 which comes under the Commodity Levies Act 1990
BBNZ is governed by an elected Executive.
The Executive consists of:
- five grower members:
- three exporter members
- two representing exporters of fresh blueberries
- one representing exporters of frozen blueberries
All members of the Executive are elected for a period of two years.
The BBNZ Directory is a current list of the Executive
The day to day business of BBNZ is carried out by the Industry Secretary - Jan Bishell
Jan's contact details are:
Blueberries New Zealand Inc.,
PO Box 13 029,
Ph: 07 856 6809
Blueberries New Zealand has a quality programme which provides standards for both fresh and frozen blueberries and also a spray programme which sets out the spray requirements and procedures.
The quality programme is managed by
Mb: 021 1420 619
All Testing is completed by
Ph: 07 857 6015
Mb: 027 478 6206